How to apply to the J. J. Reneaux Emerging Artist Award
- SUBMIT URL(s) by e-mail:
A 10-20 minute video recording of your storytelling that will demonstrate your present strengths and performance characteristics. (We recommend, but do not require, that you record a performance before an audience.) The recording should include samples of two different pieces of work (if possible, one complete). Include the URL(s) in your application in section 2(c) below. It is the responsibility of the applicant to make sure that these videos are easily accessed through common platforms and browsers. Please ask several people with different browsers and platforms to test the accessibility of your videos before you submit the URL(s) to the committee.
E-MAIL to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- Your complete contact information: Name, mailing address, phone numbers, e-mail address.
- A letter (no longer than 1000 words) including:- your personal and artistic background;- your sense of what is distinctive about the path you are on as a performer;the additional skills you need in order to enhance the effectiveness of your storytelling (this is very important—think carefully) ;- your plan for using the grant money to improve these necessary skills. (Please check the information about what the award will and will not fund.)- A brief description of the performances on the recording(s) you have submitted, including titles, dates and settings of the performances, and reflections about the relationship of these pieces to your complete repertoire. Include the URL(s) of your recording(s) here.
- Your résumé (no longer than 2 pages).
- A list of names and contact information for three people who will send letters of recommendation.
REQUEST Letters of Recommendation:
- Three letters of recommendation, e-mailed to NSN directly by the writers of the letters. (Please give your referees the NSN recommendation instructions, or direct them to download the instructions.
- Your referees should include:
– One person who can describe your performance in a particular venue, and two professional storytellers who can describe your storytelling in detail.
All submissions and recommendation letters must be in the NSN office by midnight (EDT) Tuesday, Sept. 5, 2017. The award announcement will be made in November, 2017.