The Mentorship Award provides $1,250 for a gifted younger teller (18-30 years of age) to work with a seasoned teller as mentor.
Criteria for recipients:
- You should intend to gain at least part of your income from professional storytelling performance.
- You should be between 18 and 30 years of age at the time you apply for the grant.
- Your current performances should demonstrate considerable talent and potential for development.
- Although your career is at an early stage, you should already show a distinctive voice and style.
- You should have at least an hour of fully developed repertoire.
- Although you should not yet have received wide public recognition (such as featuring at a major festival or theater), you should already have several performance credits.
What the award will and will not fund:
- The award gives $500 to the applicant for expenses related to the plan of work with the mentor (travel, lodging, additional fees, etc.), and $750 to a well-respected, seasoned storyteller who will serve as mentor to the applicant during the grant year by providing individual coaching sessions and/or appropriate workshops.
- Award funds are for the development of performance skills, and should not be applied to research, marketing, promotional materials, recordings, props, costumes, etc.
If you are interested in applying for the J.J. Reneax Mentorship Award, please click the button below to download the application instructions.