Reply To: recommendations about CD makers?

Welcome Forums NSN Forum Storytelling Resources recommendations about CD makers? Reply To: recommendations about CD makers?

Administrator
Keymaster

Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2017 08:04:52 -0600

On Dec 16, 2017, at 6:21 AM, Jeff Gere (via storytell list) <storytell+jeffgere1031=gmail.com@lists.storynet.org> wrote:

I urge you & everyone I know to record your/their voice telling stories.
Some day that may be all there is for your great grandchildren to hear of you.

Jeff,
This is a thought-provoking twist in the thread.

Then the question becomes, via what surviving medium will the great grandchildren be able to hear us? I heard last night on NPR that sound recorded on magnetic tape is actually more durable than digital discs (CD, DVD). But on what will they play?

We still have mini reels of taped letters sent home by my brother from Vietnam, and the last time we could find a working reel-to-reel player, they still sounded good. I have cassettes from the 1980’s that play just fine on the simple “bread box” player I got when Radio Shack closed. But our CD players don’t last long, let alone the discs!

What will become of the novel one wrote in a word processing program that is no longer supported? Where will all our photos, videos, and documents go when the Cloud evaporates (or is bought by a corporation that charges exhorbitant fees to maintain your share)?

There is something to be said for paper.

Fran

Scroll to Top