Reply To: Volume control and over enthusiastic audiences

Welcome Forums NSN Forum The Business of Storytelling Volume control and over enthusiastic audiences Reply To: Volume control and over enthusiastic audiences

Administrator
Keymaster

Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2017 13:12:03 -0500

My husband and I did puppet stories, and of course we had more children than parents. He also did a magic act. We learned at the beginning of the show, so of like a warm-up, to let the kids know of the puppets rules and the magic rules. We figured out the line of sight, if you really want to see everything, you need to stay between these two line. Otherwise, it is hard to see everything. That was a practical thing, it also kept kids from coming up to see the magic close up! There was a front line as well. That helped the kids not look into the puppet stage! We explained that the puppets and the magic just refuse to work when someone is outside of the lines. The last ‘rule’ was to let the parents know that we don’t mind if they come forward to get the child.

The first and only time that three heads appeared in the puppet screen, the puppets just stopped. One of the puppets, mine, asked them what they were doing. Would they please sit down so that the play could continue?

And my husband would stop his act when someone started to get to close. Just stop, freeze in place, until the child went back.

And for telling the story, we always used the time honored request- if you have heard this story before, please be quiet while I tell it. We don’t want to ruin it for everyone else, do we? Or, I just might tell it in a different way, so listen to see where I am different.

Good luck, have fun, you will find your technique.

Mags

Scroll to Top