Reply To: recommendations about CD makers?

Welcome Forums NSN Forum Storytelling Resources recommendations about CD makers? Reply To: recommendations about CD makers?

Administrator
Keymaster

Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2017 08:00:22 -0800

Thanks, Jeff. What a good suggestion. My stumbling block is that I have never liked seeing myself on video (I’m camera-shy, too). Maybe we need to video ourselves more often? This could be a powerful tool to learn more objectivity about our physical presence on stage.

Since the early days of my own storytelling career, I have recorded most of story repertoire for rehearsal purposes. As a young mom, as the wee bairn napped, I’d put on my little cassette player while I’d wash dishes. It was a perfect time to listen. That way I could take the stories “into my bones,” so to speak.

Nowadays I record new stories on my phone. Lots of times I listen while I’m driving. This tool has been a lot of help as I’m learning new stories and also as a way to keep in touch with stories that I don’t tell often. This technique also gives me a chance to review and refine the narrative. Yesterday I drove over an hour to a doctor’s appointment. On the trip, I took at least 30 minutes to review stories. During that same drive I heard a wonderful interview with Robert Siegel and Audie Cornish on NPR. The topic was exploring how we speak. Since use of our voices is a core element for all of us, I think this might be worth a listen: https://www.npr.org/2017/12/18/570177171/from-uptalk-to-downtown-new-yawk-robert-siegel-explored-how-we-speak

An actor friend of mine, who does one-person plays, rehearses every day for a minimum of 2 hours. It’s all in his cell-memory. Oh, if only I had that kind of discipline!

bz smith

Scroll to Top