Reply To: Now… how to improve performance…

Welcome Forums NSN Forum The Business of Storytelling Now… how to improve performance… Reply To: Now… how to improve performance…

Administrator
Keymaster

Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2017 20:52:02 +0100

On 25 Feb 2017, at 18:46, Maria Gomez de la Torre <mariale.gtb@gmail.com> wrote:
I HATED SEEING MYSELF ON VIDEO!!! Is just me or does anyone else feel like it’s not themselves up there on the screen.

I’m sure it is a difficult experience for most of us at the beginning – it certainly made me feel uncomfortable! Moreover, it takes some time not only to get used to watching yourself, but also to be able to learn from what you are doing well and less well. So it is worth going back to the video and looking for strengths and weaknesses.

Using video for promotion is another issue. As Elaine says, spending money can create a really impressive product (I’ve just seen how impressive that is, Elaine).
OTOH our art form is one which also thrives on the unpredictability of the live performance. The manager of halbNeun Theater here in Darmstadt told me long ago that he collects all promotional videos he is sent during the year and takes them on holiday to choose new acts for the next season. His line was that he remained rather suspicious of short, professionally produced videos as highlights are only that. He wanted to see a full live show, then he knew whether this was an act which could work with an audience.
That is the reason behind my deciding to set up the video gallery showing a wide “warts and all” range of telling to audiences. (As I put it rather sententiously, being upfront that this is amateur production, but professional storytelling!)

So you need to consider who you are marketing to and what they want.

Richard Martin
The Three Suitors is the latest upload to the video gallery – over 60 folk tales available to watch:
http://www.tellatale.eu/video.html

Scroll to Top