Reply To: learning to search stories…

Welcome Forums NSN Forum Storytelling Resources learning to search stories… Reply To: learning to search stories…

Administrator
Keymaster

Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2018 11:13:25 -0400

It is a quite new thing to find stories via the cold platform of the internet. I believe that there was something that traveled with books with their worn covers and folded pages- tucked away in hard to discover places. There was often serendipity and synchronicity involved in finding the right story at the right time. The finding itself often carried elements of “story” and not just acquisition! So I still suggest trying to find tales in old fashioned ways (can’t believe I am calling books old fashioned!). Though I agree with Laura that the “HOW” of how you bring a story from the dry words back to life – the APPROACH is the most important thing. I remember one December as New Year’s approached wanting desperately to find a New Year’s tale, wandering to my bookshelf, closing my eyes and opening a volume from Duncan Williamson to “Auld Father Time and the Henwife” the only traditional New Year’s tale I have seen before and since! In it, Father Time grows younger and younger till at last he is a baby. Truly a New Year’s story with companion archetypes. Stories keep traveling farther and father from their sources and unfortunately the internet remains the place where the dirt on the roots can be hard or impossible to find. If you get a story there, I feel it is essential that you trace it back to its sources as much as possible. That is one way to honor a story that has traveled so very far.

Diane

Diane Edgecomb
http://www.livingmyth.com

“The greatest number of spontaneous synchronistic phenomena I have observed have a direct connection with an archetype.”
Carl Jung

“Courage is the measure of our heartfelt participation with life, with another, with a community, a work; a future,” poet and philosopher David Whyte

Scroll to Top