Independent Contractors Workers Compansation

Welcome Forums NSN Forum The Business of Storytelling Independent Contractors Workers Compansation

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
  • #8837

    From: Charles Kiernan
    Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2018 22:39:24 -0400

    Oh Wise Ones,

    I am looking at a contract to appear at a social event (not even a show really) for my Twain impersonation. The agency through which this event is being produced requires I have my own workmans compensation. This is the first time I have run into this. Any insight? Experience? Sudjections? Bottom line?

    The actual verbiage is:

    All performers are responsible for carrying their own insurance regarding themselves and/or any of their equipment. (name of agency), its clients and the venue assumes no responsibility for any damage, injury or accident that might occur on site or getting to the event. By signing the contract the performer confirms that he carries his own workman’s comp insurance.

    What kind of insurance do other tellers carry. With my storytelling guild we have event insurance ($314 a year) , but I have never bothered with insurance for myself.

    Your thoughts?

    Charles K.


    Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2018 11:27:20 +0000 (UTC)

    Chaz —

    Have a look at these folks and see if this is what they’re talking about. It’s liability insurance at least as much as it is workers’ comp. I have a very basic policy and it’s about $250/year. Fire eaters and trapeze artists pay more. Seriously.


    megan hicks
    storytelling empress::origami swami


    From: “Gail Herman
    Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2018 09:25:34 -0400

    Thank you so much Megan. This is good news.

    Gail N. Herman, Storyteller
    National Storytelling Network, Northeast Regional Director- Save the Dates!
    2018 National Storytelling SUMMIT: July 25-July 28, 2018, Kansas City,
    413-203-5247, Work cell: 301-501-0044 11 Russell Lane,
    Easthampton, MA 01027


    From: Denise McCormack
    Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2018 13:36:42 +0000 (UTC)

    That sounds like performers insurance. Here are two.:
    Specialty Insurance Agency – Entertainer Insurance

    Specialty Insurance Agency – Entertainer Insurance
    Specialty Insurance Agency – provides premiere insurance for performers and vendors in the U.S.

    Performers Insurance | $59 1-3 Day Event Insurance | Insurance Canopy

    Performers Insurance | $59 1-3 Day Event Insurance | Insurance Canopy
    Short-term general liability insurance for performers & entertainers. Buy a policy online today for just $59. …

    Denise McCormack, M.ED.

    There is a story for every time and purpose underheaven.
    … because the right words can do magic! And so can a little laughter!
    Owner: Denise McCormack, LLC.
    MagicWords101; DM Corporate Coaching
    NJ State Liaison, National Storytelling Network
    Board Member, NJ Storytelling Festival
    President, Patchwork Storytelling Guild in Philadelphia

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Scroll to Top