Supporting Summit Locations, regardless of politics

Welcome Forums NSN Forum National Storytelling Summit/Conference Supporting Summit Locations, regardless of politics

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Jessica McCune
    Participant

I support NSN Summit locations throughout the country. We are all Americans; we are different. Storytelling must be an art form to work through our differences, together.

Jessica McCune
    Ocala, Florida
    Long live storytelling.

tParkhurst
    Participant

I’ll add my voice to the chorus thanking the board for requesting member feedback on this issue. I’m a longtime member who is uncomfortable with the result of most Georgia elections and most actions of the Georgia state legislature. However, I will support NSN by attending the Summit if it is located there next year. Secondarily, perhaps we should begin a longer-term discussion of what neutrality means to us as a body.d
    Ted Parkhurst

Yvonne Healy
    Participant

Hi,
    From personal experience as Chair, I understand the impossibility of changing conference locations based on fluid local politics. I accept that NSN chooses to be an apolitical association. Should local politics make it uncomfortable for me to contribute to a hostile society by paying for food, lodging, taxes, etc., if Im not directly serving NSN by presenting or producing, I commit to donating the conference fee to NSN. Thus NSN is not penalized for the local cultures positions.

estivender
    Participant

As a NAPPS Board Member in the 1980’s, I fought the idea of moving the Conference away from the cozy affordable gathering at Washington College Academy in Jonesborough, thus changing the model from friendly camp-out to ALA-clone-expensive-hotel-based-bureaucratic conferences unaffordable to many working storytellers, unsponsored by their Libraries.
    Nonetheless, now that it has moved around, the idea of changing the venue due to political considerations is horrifying to me.
    It reeks of Fascism.
    The Georgia legislature, composed of duly elected representatives, speaking in the name of their constituents, has enacted a Bill in a democratic fashion. The duly elected Governor of that State has signed that Bill. All these steps are constitutional and in accordance with the Rule of Law. For those of us outside of Georgia, whether we agree or disagree with the statute, it is none of our business.
    To change the venue at this point would be to take a stand that denies the rights of the people of Georgia to live peacefully in domestic tranquility under the Blessings of Liberty, as promised in the Preamble of the Constitution.
    Insofar as it uses economics as a weapon, it is an example of Capitalism over Community.
    It would be akin to the action of the spoiled child who takes his bat and ball and goes home because the game isn’t going his/her way.
    Perhaps more importantly, it would be a breach of courtesy to our hosts, the Southern Order of Storytellers, an organization older than NSN.
    I appreciate the NSN Board’s decision to open this dialogue to the membership and look forward to the dirty looks next time I see y’all in Jonesborough. (Unless you’re also boycotting the Festival for Economic-political reasons.)

Denise McCormack
    Participant

THIS IS THE LINK TO DISCUSSION; THIS IS NOT THE FORUM BEING USED. GO TO: https://storynet.org/forums/topic/policy-of-engaged-neutrality/#post-10739

Susan Shampanier
    Participant

I disagree in supporting summit locations in rogue states.
    Georgia is thumbing its nose at the US constitution as interpreted by the Supreme Court, and the spirit of the Declaration of Independence. Georgia is required to follow the US Constitution, and any public official who fails to do so, including the governor, should be removed. And, Georgia is one of the states that sanctions voter suppression.

The new law in Georgia is unconstitutional because it says that women do not have the same rights as men including the right to control their own bodies. Its the same as saying African Americans are not fully human, or that slavery is just a “peculiar institution”. Its also imposing religious beliefs about abortion. Separation of Church and State is fundamental to US Constitution.
    I appreciate Yvonne’s suggestion that I donate the registration fee, if I don’t want to attend the conference. Unfortunately, the power of the $$$ is the strongest power I have. If enough organizations refuse to hold their meetings and conventions in Atlanta, perhaps politicians in the State will temper their anti-American behavior.

smeasels
    Participant

I appreciate the offer of Georgia’s storytellers to host the 2020 Summit and I hope the board will move forward with plans for the 2020 Summit in Georgia as planned. I joined NSN because I wanted to be a part of a community of storytellers. I never expected that all members would agree with me on every issue, and I certainly don’t expect to agree with the politics of everyone that I do business with.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Scroll to Top