So You Want to Produce Your Own TELLABRATION!™ Event – What Do You Do?
An FAQ for potential TELLABRATION!™ Producers
May I produce a TELLABRATION!™ event?
Absolutely! All types of people and organizations produce TELLABRATION!™ events – librarians, teachers, church folks, clubs and guilds, as well as individuals! So can you!
What do I need to do in order to produce a TELLABRATION!™ event?
- Request your copy of the TELLABRATION!™ Promo Kit and Event Guidebook from NSN
- Choose a site
- Recruit a co-producer and staff workers
- Decide who will be your target audience
- Choose and invite your tellers
- List your TELLABRATION!™ on the NSN website: click here. Events will be posted on the calendar within a couple of days.
I’m interested . . . so how do I get started?”
Ideas for possible venues:
- Church halls
- Small theaters
- Community halls
- Your own home
Places to find tellers and production staff:
- Find your local story sharing group or Guild – check NSN’s national directory of tellers and storytelling organizations
- Ask at your local library, arts organizations, theater groups…be creative!
Contact NSN for the TELLABRATION!™ Promo Kit which contains materials such as templates for:
- Program pages
- Bookmarks and Postcards
NSN also publishes a TELLABRATION!™ Event Guidebook, which has more detailed information on such topics as:
- Securing a performance space, and all the details involved in turning it into a storytelling venue
- Filling your house and other uses of publicity
- Developing a staff and all the jobs they will be needed to do
- Crafting your evening – seeking a balance of stories, styles, and moods
Can I be flexible in my event?
Yes! Although TELLABRATION!™ was intended originally for adult audiences, it has evolved over the years. It is up to local producers to decide what will best suit their communities.
Events in the past have included:
- All adult tellers for an all-adult audience
- Emerging tellers performing alongside experienced tellers
- An afternoon event for children followed by an evening for adults
- A family event
- A house concert for a group that chooses an informal evening of storytelling
Do I Need to Sign Up?
Yes! We ask you to list your event on the NSN calendar. By doing so, NSN will be able to advertise your event both on this website and on the NSN social networks. In return, NSN asks you to do the things listed on the TELLABRATION!™ Producer Information page.