The Storyteller Relief Fund is being administered by Artists Standing Strong Together (ASST). More information about the fund can be found on their website at www.artistsstandingstrongtogether.net. Questions regarding the fund should be directed to the Storyteller Relief Fund Committee Chair:
Nicolette Nordin Heavey
Storyteller Relief Fund Guidelines
The storytelling community has been dealt a hard blow by the COVID-19 pandemic. If not affected by the illness itself, many in our community have been hard hit by the economic consequences of this virus. Our hearts are hurting. We want to help in every way we can. This is one of the ways we are trying to reach out, collaborate and ease each other’s burdens.
Artists Standing Strong Together (ASST) have established a Storyteller Relief Fund to receive and disburse donations to help storytellers in urgent need of funds from the cancellation of storytelling programs due to the COVID-19 pandemic. If you are a storyteller in financial need as a result of canceled storytelling programs, please read the guidelines below and submit your application.
- What type of expenses can be reimbursed?
This fund aims to offer financial relief and further support with resource guidance. This fund is limited and is hoping to offer relief that ranges from $50 to $300, according to need. The funds granted are to cover immediate, urgent survival expenses, including:
- Medications and medical bills
- Utility bills
- Phone and wifi
The funds will NOT be granted to cover:
- Education expenses, such as college fees, workshop fees, training courses.
- Business expenses such as printing of marketing material, purchase of A/V equipment
- What are the qualifications?
- Applicants should have an established residence in the United States, or District of Columbia, or U.S.Territories.
- Applicants must be able to demonstrate past, current, and ongoing activity in the storytelling profession. To cut down on paperwork, applicants will not have to supply documentation to support this but may be contacted by phone or email.
- Applicants must be able to prove, if requested, the loss of at least $500 from canceled programs due to the COVID-19 school closings, festival cancellations, etc.
- Applicants need to attach a copy of medical/grocery/oil/electric, etc. bill(s).
- Applicants must fill out the information in the application.
- How do I apply?
There is no deadline. Applications will be reviewed and funds will be released on a rolling basis (approx. every 2 weeks) until either a) the funds are depleted, or b) the Storyteller Relief Fund Committee deems the Storytelling Relief Fund is no longer needed.
- How are the funds approved and disbursed?
Applications will be reviewed by the Storyteller Relief Fund Committee composed of a diverse, cross-section of the storytelling community. The Committee will use its discretion to determine which applications can be funded based on the urgency and availability of funds. We know we cannot help everyone to the extent that help is needed. Applicants will be directed to additional resources outside of NSN as needed and available. Upon approval, the committee will disburse the funds to the applicant by either check or payment through PayPal.
Questions regarding the guidelines and application can be directed to:
Storyteller Relief Fund Committee Chair
Nicolette Nordin Heavey
The Storyteller Relief Fund Committee does not and shall not discriminate based on race, color, religion (creed), gender, gender expression, age, national origin (ancestry), disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or military status in any of its activities or operations. These activities include, but are not limited to, staff selection, committee selection, and provision of services and funding.