Call for Submissions
for the 2018 Diving In The Moon Journal
We are sending out the call for your submissions for our next online journal, now in its sixth year of production. We have gathered articles, stories, art and poetry from throughout the world, offering an opportunity to learn about the healing work of storytelling in its varied forms and among different cultures. By producing the journal online, we are no longer bound by costs for printing/mailing/storage and can offer recordings and colorful images as well.
Write and tell us about your experience working with healing story, whether you work alone or in collaboration. We are seeking articles, written or spoken stories, poetry or art – even interviews with storytellers whose work inspires you. Remember that our definition of healing can include any or all of the following…physical, emotional, mental, or spiritual and can speak to all aspects of our life on this planet. You can also send a letter to the editors. We would love to hear from you.Please take a look over our past 5 years of online journal issues on our website (healingstory.org) to get a sense of our journal. All copyrights will be listed as remaining with the author/artist.
- Arial 12 font
- Single spaced
- Title & author/s listed at top of first page with 100 word maximum bio at end including contact info for permissions
- Word count included
- In-depth articles/stories up to 8000 words
- Shorter articles/stories: 500-2000 words
- MP3 brief stories and songs will also be considered that are no longer than 10 minutes
- Poetry can be submitted in PDF if formatting is important
- Art needs to be in JPG format–no bigger than 600 x 800 or 250KB
Submission deadline: May 15, 2018
Send submissions as an attachment in Word/Microsoft Word with the words E-JOURNAL SUBMISSION in the subject line. If more time is needed then contact our editor with your ideas.
This issue will be published on the HSA website by Fall 2018
Greetings from the Healing Story Alliance
HSA explores and promotes the use of storytelling in healing. Our goal as a special interest group of the National Storytelling network (NSN) is to build a resource for the use of story in the healing arts and professions.
We share experiences and skills to increase our own knowledge of stories and how best to use them to inform, nurture, inspire and heal, both organizations and individuals. We strive to reach beyond our storytelling community to engage all those in other service professions who can see the benefit of story as a vehicle for healing.
This website offers resources, guidance and practical applications for storytelling, revealing and reflecting the many facets of healing story in the world today and in the past.
In addition to bibliographies, and links, there is a library of articles on Healing Stories and Storytelling. Our acclaimed Journal, Diving in the Moon: Honoring Story, Facilitating Healing, is back in 2013 as an e-journal on the HSA website, and will now include articles and written or spoken stories, poetry and photography.
Many are drawn to our site in search for answers or resources for dealing with the pain and tragedy of events such as the shootings of children in Connecticut, the uprooting of families and communities through natural disasters and human initiated aggression (from bullying to war).
This interest is addressed in our compilations of stories:
- Healing Treasures: Stories intended to precipitate conversation, and guide teaching and healing with participants.
- Stories We Live: Personal stories and methods for gathering and applying life experiences as healing references.
- Stories for Children in Crisis: Compiled by Laura Simms, includes stories, articles and links, drawn from years of research and professional work with children.
- Stories for Peace: storytelling in pursuit of peace and understanding.
- Healing the Earth: featuring stories contributed by storytellers working in environmental settings or on educational projects with an environmental theme.
We invite submissions to these pages.
This site is also a resource for ongoing events the HSA Special Interest Group sponsors. In addition to pre-conference workshops, concerts, swaps and our yearly meeting at the NSN Annual Conference, HSA hosts monthly Tele-conferences with international storytellers and experts. Presently, collected presentations from several years of these hour long presentations are available for listening.
For Information on how you can join, volunteer and/or donate to the
Healing Story Alliance, please contact the HSA Coordinator, Gemma B. Benton: email@example.com