By Kevin Cordi
When we consider story making, storytelling expands.
As Storytellers, we need to explore Story Making as much as Storytelling. Too often we privilege the telling as the most important value. We spend time working on our performances when we need to look more at how we make the stories we make ready for performance.
- We can tell stories, but we can also experience stories together.
- We can teach using stories in ways other than telling.
- As an ensemble we can build stories together.
- Stories don’t always have to have a beginning, middle and end to make a significance.
- Storytelling and Story Making can Occur from collective inquiry.
- We serve more roles than storytellers. WE are story makers, story listeners, and if trained, story mediators.
- Deep listening can determine story direction.
- Unlike Mark Twain, who I love, we can continue a story the next day or the next week if the direction is learning from the story, but telling the story happens in concentrated time.
- We need to give ourselves permission to play with stories.
Our story practices grow when we take risks. We practice and play becomes our practice. We reflect on our play. We see story as a craft that requires study and working together.
“Together we can and do make a difference with stories.”
Let me know how I can help you as you play, take risks, and expand your work as a storyteller.
Kevin D. Cordi is the author of Playing with Stories (Parkhurst Brothers, 2014) —Story Crafting for Writers, Teachers, and Other Imaginative Thinkers. He believes play makes real connections in story development. You can find out more at www.kevincordi.com.
Telephone: (559) 213-0161
NSN loves publishing items submitted by the storytelling community! If you’re interested in writing something for publication on the NSN website, e-newsletter, or Storytelling Magazine please contact the NSN office for more information.
Contact the National Storytelling Network
c/o Woodneath Library
8900 N.E. Flintlock Road
Kansas City, MO 64157
Telephone: (800) 525-4514
Find us on social media!